Student Services & Retention
Teacher preparation requirements are complex. Specialized student services can provide valuable expertise to help students understand teaching pathways, evaluate available transfer and credential programs, and select what is best for them.
Student services professionals in Teacher Preparation Programs help students to succeed academically. They are knowledgeable of campus services and refer students as needed to tutoring, financial aid, career center, transfer center, student health, and student activities.
Counselors provide academic, career and personal counseling to help students identify educational and career goals, and guide and support them to completion.
- Provide campus leadership for identifying, developing and retaining future teachers
- Create a specified full-time center where students can find reliable information pertaining to teaching, internships, conference and tutoring opportunities, and CBEST preparation information
- Staff the center with dedicated full-time classified to provide administrative support to students and program director
- Develop and update Teacher Preparation Program website
- Identify funding sources for future teacher scholarships
- Celebrate completion of program and transfer to university
- Offer a regional conference for future teachers
- In consultation with local universities, create transfer programs of study listing transfer major requirements for future teachers
- Encourage and support Future Teachers Club or monthly gatherings of Teacher Prep Program students
View and download the Student Services & Retention presentation for more information.
Our strategies, tools & resources support community colleges in developing innovative teacher preparation programs that boost the number and diversity of students entering the education field, particularly in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and career technical education (CTE).